At John Amato Hyundai Superstore we are an approved Wisconsin DOT Emission testing station serving Milwaukee and surrounding areas. We offer a quick and convenient way for you to check your vehicle emissions. In most cases, you can also renew your vehicle at our dealership.
Vehicle Emissions at John Amato Hyundai Superstore
- Fast, Easy and Convenient
- Call for an appointment 414-357-8500
If you have any questions about having your vehicle emissions checked or registration renewed at Amato Hyundai Superstore, please call our service department at 414-357-8500
Vehicle Emissions Test Hours
- Monday - Friday 7 am- 5 pm
- Saturday 8 am - 5 pm
- Closed Sundays and some state holidays
- Call for and appointment 414-357-8500
How to Have a Successful Emission Test
Bring your vehicle to John Amato Hyundai Superstore as soon as possible after receiving your test notice from the state. If your vehicle fails the inspection, this will provide ample time to repair the vehicle and have it re- inspected prior to license plate expiration.
Prior to Arriving at John Amato Hyundai Superstore:
- Please bring your vehicle's test notice with you
- Make sure the vehicle brought in for testing matches the vehicle identified on the test notice
- If your 1996 or newer OBD-equipped vehicle has a covered or otherwise obstructed diagnostic link connector (DLC), please open or remove the cover (consult owner's manual for location and instructions), or remove the obstruction prior to arriving at the test station
- If your 1996 or newer OBD-equipped vehicle has recently been serviced, or if the battery has been disconnected please drive the vehicle for several days before bringing it in for inspection.
- Ensure your vehicle is safe to operate. Your vehicle may be rejected if the test cannot be safely conducted.
At John Amato Hyundai Superstore
- When you arrive, leave the engine running unless directed otherwise
- Inform the service advisor when entering the test lane if the license plate number on the vehicle is different from the number on your test notice
Wisconsin Vehicle Registration Renewal Services
If you can answer YES to the following conditions, you can get your new license plate stickers at John Amato Hyundai Superstore
- Vehicle passed its emissions test
- Vehicle did not need an emissions test
- Vehicle is an automobile with any registered plate type
- Vehicle is a light duty or heavy duty truck expiring annually
- Vehicle has no registration suspensions
- Vehicle's registration is not revoked
You can renew your plates at John Amato Hyundai Superstore even if you do not need an emissions test. To renew, park in our parking lot and a customer service representative will be available in the service department
There is a $10.00 processing fee in addition to your vehicle registration fee for this service. Please call us at 414-357-8500 for payment options
For other registration options see the Wisconsin Department of Transportation Site
Temporary License Plates
If your vehicle fails the emissions inspection and your license plates are expiring, you need to purchase a 30-day temporary license plate. The plates can be purchased either by mail or in person at the DMV Customer Service Centers or Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Facilities.
There is a $3 charge for temporary plates and an additional $5 counter fee if purchased at either a DMV service center or test facility. A vehicle may be eligible for up to three temporary plates and some restrictions apply
Emissions Test after Transfer of Ownership
Vehicles more than five model years old require a test within 45 days following a change of ownership. WisDOT mails a letter to the owner explaining the test requirements. Failure to pass the test within the 45-day time period results in a suspension of the vehicle's registration. A test is not required if the vehicle passed a test within 180 days of the transfer of ownership.
If you recently purchased the vehicle and are nearing the end of the 45 day testing window, you can get a one-time, 30-day extension by calling 1-866-OBD-TEST. There is no charge for this service. The 30-day extension cannot be issued at the vehicle inspection facilities.
About the Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Program
Why Vehicles are Tested
The Federal Clean Air Act mandates the operation of the vehicle emission inspection and maintenance programs in areas throughout the nation with significant air quality issues, including Southeastern Wisconsin. In addition to identifying vehicles violating state emission standard, the Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Program (WVIP) also identifies vehicles with tampered control equipment. The owners of these vehicles are required to have tampered items repaired, replaced, or otherwise returned to proper working order
Motor vehicles are a major source of air pollutants in metropolitan area. Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide and other pollutants- volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides- that react to form ground level ozone. Motor vehicles emit about one-third of Southeastern Wisconsin's volatile organic compounds (mostly hydrocarbons) and about 60% of it's carbon monoxide